Monday, December 13, 2010

It's All About Me

If you are going to read what I write, then I think I owe it to you to tell you about myself. 


I was born and raised in Ohio.  I am an only child (which has it positives and negatives).  My parents seperated the summer after my fifth grade year and granted the divorce when I was in Junior High.  Also while in Junior High (my eighth grade year), my father committed suicide.  So basically I was raised by a single mom.  She did the best she could (back then I didn't realize it and appreciate it).  People say that only children (that I am) spoiled.  Well if having a mother who was able to own a house and a car, work 40 hour weeks and take care of a teenage son...I guess I was spoiled.

It was also during my Junior High years that I started attending a church walking distance from my home.  The summer of 1976 I attended a church camp and was immersed for the forgiveness of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38).  I attended this camp through my high school years and as an adult became the secretary for the board, a representative for the church I preached at, a dean, implemented a new camp for second graders (Day Camp) and was on the board of directors.

During my high school years, a man (Kevin Yeager) that I appreciate very much came into my life.  He encouraged me to preach and gave me the opportunities.  He helped me fill out the paperwork to attend a Bible college (He was also involved with my ordination and our wedding ceremony). So after graduating High School I attended Kentucky Christian College (now called Kentucky Christian University due to the diverse programs of study it offers).  I graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree with a double major (Bible and Youth Ministry).

After graduating college and being ordained as a minister, I moved to Virginai to work in a Christian school (Mountain Mission School).  As soon as I arrived there (May 1985) I met this lady who I worked with in the kitchen (we were both lunch cooks).  Different ones encouraged me to ask her "out"---we were married August 1986. 

We moved back to Ohio to find a Youth Ministry close to where my mom lived...but couldn't find one.  After three years I was asked to preach at a little county church (Coal Run Church of Christ).  It took me a few months to accept due to wanting a Youth Ministry.  But with this congregation was able to preach and work with the youth.  And, it was only a half-hour from my mom's house.  We were with this congregation six and one-half years.  We were asked to come to another small country church (Chesterhill Church of Christ) again preaching and working with the youth.

Now to fast-forward to today.  In 2003 I moved to Pennsylvania to be closer to my wife's family.  We have been here ever since.  I currently teach and substitute preach at the church we attend (Wills Mountian Church of Christ).

Why do I tell you all this? So you can see that what I write about, I know something about.  The purpose of this blog will be to encourage and educate.

"All Scripture is God=breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,..." 2 Timothy 3:16 (New International Version; 1978 by the New York International Bible Society) (bold print added by me; these are the two elements I want this blog to focus on)

I hope your faith is strengthened from reading these blog entries.  If you like what you read, let others know.  If you don't like what you read, delete me.

In Christ,
Jeff

3 comments:

  1. I like! I will read! I need to get George a favorite blog list. I know he'll want to keep up with your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted about your blog on my blog! Can't wait to read what you write!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Jeff.....continue to blog to keep me encouraged and educated!! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete